I don’t have a Real Estate license in SC or in any other state, how do I get licensed?

All applicants must be over the age of 18 and have a high school diploma (or certificate of equivalency), and be lawfully present and eligible to work in the United States. If you have a law degree or a four year baccalaureate degree from a higher education institution with a major in real estate, you do not have to take pre-licensing courses for any license type, or meet the experience requirements for Broker qualification. A transcript can be accepted and reviewed to authorize you to apply for the Sales, Broker or Property Manager examination.

Associate/ Supervised Licensee (Formerly Salesperson)

Unless you have a law degree or a four year baccalaureate degree from a higher education institution with a major in real estate, you must complete the Commission approved pre-licensing Course (60 hours – Unit I Sales) then apply to take the SC Real Estate Sales examination. Before you apply for a license you will also need to complete an additional Unit II: Advanced Real Estate Principles course (30-hours). Passing Score sheets and proof of completion of the Unit II course must be submitted with your licensure application.

Broker License

As of 2024, you must have five (5) years of “Active” licensed salesperson experience within the last five (5) years prior to attempting to qualify for a broker license. You must complete the Commission approved Broker IIIA and IIIB pre-licensing courses (60 additional hours) then apply to take the SC Real Estate Broker Examination. After passing the examination, you can submit a Broker application with passing score sheets. Post examination applications will be provided by the exam provider PSI. A broker qualified applicant can also apply to become a Broker in Charge and establish an office under their supervision.

Property Manager License

You must complete the Commission approved Property Management (30 hours) pre-licensing course then apply to take the South Carolina Property Manager Exam. After passing the examination, you can submit an application for a Property Manager or Property Manager in Charge license. Property Manager in Charge applicants must also complete a 7 hour PMIC class prior to issuance of an “in Charge” license. Post examination applications will be provided by the exam provider PSI.

I’m a licensed Real Estate Salesperson or Broker in another jurisdiction, how do I get licensed in SC?

Currently, South Carolina has a reciprocity agreement only with Georgia. To acquire a salesperson license in South Carolina, licensed agents in other jurisdictions must complete the 60 hour Pre-Licensing Course as well as the 30 Hour Advanced Licensing Course, or possess specific law or real estate degrees. Non-residents with an active license from another state, or a license that hasn’t been expired for more than six months, will be exempt from taking the National portion of the South Carolina Real Estate Exam, but will need to take the state specific portion of the exam in order to obtain an active SC license. In order to receive a Broker license, agents need three active years as a South Carolina salesperson within the last five years and must complete an additional 60 hours of education, unless they hold qualifying degrees. Brokers aiming for a ‘Broker-in-Charge’ license must meet broker requirements and have an ownership stake in or be actively managing their company. Take note: these clarified rules will apply to applications received on or after October 16, 2023.

Do I have to give SCRED a copy of my Social Security Card?

Yes, our agency requires that we receive and verify social security numbers through a copy of the social security prior to issuing any license for any licensing Board.

I have a criminal conviction. Can I get a South Carolina real estate license?

A criminal record does not in itself prevent you from being able to be licensed. Certain convictions are grounds for denial of licensure and will require that you appear before the Commission for an Application Hearing. You must complete pre-licensing requirements and submit an application for examination or licensure before a determination can be made as to whether your licensure can be approved by the Administrator, or if it will require an appearance before the Commission for a hearing.

I don’t have a Broker in Charge/Property Manager in Charge to supervise me or a company to work for. Can I get licensed now and seek employment later?

Yes, you will need to indicate that you don’t have a supervising broker/office code on your license application where it asks for BIC/PMIC office information and signature. You will be licensed but placed in “inactive” status until you activate under a supervising in charge licensee. If a provisional salesman, you still will be required to complete post-licensing education and upgrade prior to expiration of your license.

How many hours of Continuing Education do I have to take?

  • Ten (10) hours biennially if a SC resident licensee. 4 hours must be the core mandatory course and 6 hours must be electives.
  • Brokers in Charge will have to take a mandatory BIC Responsibility 4 hour course in addition to the core course, and will only have to take 2 hours of electives.
  • If you are a non-resident and licensed in your resident jurisdiction, you have to meet the CE requirements of your resident state in addition to your South Carolina CE.
  • If you have 25 years of active licensed experience you may submit a request for Partial Continuing Education Exemption. If you meet the experience requirements based upon licensure in another jurisdiction, we will need you to obtain and submit certifications of licensure history.
  • If you are active duty military, you are exempt from CE while on active service.

How do I place my license in Inactive Status?

How do I re-activate my license?

Document #210

How do I transfer my license to another office?


Document #200 or click the “Online Transfer” menu link on the SCREC webpage under Licensure Information, login and complete online.

How do I change my personal name or address?


Document #190 or for address changes, click the “Change Address” menu link on the SCREC webpage under Quick Links, login and complete online.

I’m an “in-charge” licensee, how do I change my Office/Company Name or Address?

How can I put my license in “Referral” status?

There is no referral status recognized by the South Carolina Real Estate Commission. Your status is either “Active” or “Inactive”. Inactive licensees should not perform activities requiring real estate licensure including soliciting a referral fee. A Broker in Charge may at their discretion create a “referral” only limited service office for supervision of licensees who are not engaging in sales or other licensed real estate activities